Innovative Mental Health Interventions for Children by Steven I Pfeiffer, Linda A Reddy
Children and families are in increasing need of mental health services that are more effective and less costly. Are you prepared to make this happen?This...
Children and families are in increasing need of mental health services that are more effective and less costly. Are you prepared to make this happen?
This vital book for clinical psychiatrists and trainers examines uniquely successful prevention programs addressing the most challenging mental health problems in children. In it, leading authorities in child and family mental health provide compelling descriptions of these model prevention programs, which are clinically proven and cost-effective.
Each chapter describes an internationally recognized program, including program mission and goals, key treatment ingredients, logistical and operational considerations, evaluation data, and replicability/transportability considerations.
With Programs That Work: Innovative Mental Health Interventions for Children, you will explore insightful, expert examinations of:
- an interpersonal cognitive problem-solving program that can reduce and help prevent high-risk behaviors in young children
- a video-based program aimed at reducing substance abuse and behavioral problems in young adolescents
- the Teaching-Family Model (TFM) which stresses the importance of a positive family environment for children and adolescents with emotional/behavioral problems in residential treatment centers
- a set of school-based intervention programs for parents, teachers, and children ages 310 which can help reduce or prevent conduct problems and drug abuse in children
- MST (multisystemic therapy) programs aimed at juvenile offenders and youths who abuse substancespeople who are not typically compliant with treatment programs
- the Anger Coping Program which can improve the social/cognitive skills of aggressive children
- aggression replacement training which combines skill streaming, anger control, and moral education to prevent aggression in adolescents
- multidimensional treatment foster care for adjudicated youth
The programs and interventions you will find in Programs That Work: Innovative Mental Health Interventions for Children address a great variety of serious emotional problems in children and adolescents, and emphasize the importance of an ecological and multi-systems approach to treatment. Explore them and choose what will work best for the children and families in your community!